Spirituality of the Great Fast
I prepared a series of notes for the season of the Great Fast. We passed them out on each Sunday of the Great Fast. I used the book by Father Alexander Schmemann, “Great Lent: Journey to Pascha”, as a guide. Each of these note sheets covered the material in one chapter of the book and added some pull quotes from scripture and liturgical texts. The book is credited on the first page of each insert with purchase information from Saint Vladimir’s Seminary press. I love Father Alexander’s work. I hope that these notes provide the gateway to purchasing and reading the full account in the original.
The second series is on the weekend scripture readings during the Great Fast. These cover the five weekend reading sets before Palm Sunday.
Bulletin Format Documents
Below are a set of PDF files for use as a bulletin insert. They are setup on a single 8.5 x 14 page in a booklet fold, two-sided format. You may reproduce as many as you like, as long as no fee is charged for the material. These are for non-profit use only.
Comments, corrections, suggestions are appreciated. Use the e-mail link in the menu.
Great Lent: Journey to Pascha Series
- Preparation-Chapter One
- Descriptions of the preparation Sunday themes.
- Worship-Chapter Two
- The theme of Bright Sadness, the prayer of St. Ephrem, scripture readings during the fast and the Triodion.
- Presanctified Liturgy-Chapter Three
- The Presantified Liturgy and a discussion of communion and fasting.
- Lenten Journey-Chapter Four
- The canon of St. Andrew of Crete, Saturday and Sunday liturgical themes, the Holy Cross and Bethany & Jerusalem.
- Lent in our Life-Chapter Five
- Taking the fast seriously.
- Thoughts for our Time-Appendix
- Rediscovery of religion, communion and the Mysteries.
Scripture in the Great Fast Series
Originally Posted March 22, 2009
Last Revised on August 15, 2010