Society of Saint John Chrysostom – Pittsburgh
The Society of Saint John Chrysostom promotes understanding of Eastern Christian Churches and promotes Christian unity of east and west while providing material support to Eastern Christian churches.
*****Forming a Pittsburgh Chapter of the Society of Saint John Chrysostom****
We are looking to form a Pittsburgh local chapter of the Society of Saint John Chrysostom. The basic starting format would be periodic two hour meetings opening with prayer and holding a lecture or discussion on a related topic with a speaker or leader announced in advance.
Pittsburgh Mailing List Sign Up
Get notifications of Pittsburgh area events and news. You can manage your own subscription via Mail Chimp and remove at any time.
Take Survey on Meeting Times
The Byzantine Catholic Seminary of SS Cyril and Methodious will be hosting the initial meetings.
SS Cyril & Methodius Seminary – Northside
3605 Perrysville Ave
Pittsburgh PA 15214
This survey is looking for input on possible days and topics for meetings. There are only three simple questions on a single page.
- Order in preference weekday evening, Saturday morning and Sunday Afternoons as the meeting time.
- Volunteer as Deacon or Priest to lead the prayer service
- Provide possible topics or speakers for meetings
History and Mission
Founded in London, UK in 1926, the Society of Saint John Chrysostom has three main areas of mission:
Education and promotion of Eastern Christian Churches history, worship, spirituality and theology
- Create educational programs
- Publish educational material
- Encourage learning and research
- Working for Christian Unity East & West
- Create seminars, lectures and programs on issues and history of schism
- Organize prayer, pilgrimages and conferences
- Supporting Eastern Christian Churches
- Promote scholarships and seminaries
- Contribute to fund raising and financial support
In the United States, the Orientale Lumen Foundation provides a non-profit support and administration for the Society of Saint John Chrysostom. Local chapters through the country provide local programs of education and prayer.